Mold is a type of fungi that can be found in the air and all around us (read this article to find out where it might be hiding). Naturally, mold breaks down dead materials and can be found on decaying food and plants or growing in soil. Moisture is the key to mold growth, it is attracted to damp, wet spaces- so it’s pretty normal if you find it in the bathroom!
According to The Florida Department of Health, mold loves to grow in previously flooded spaces, as the conditions provide the three things it needs to prosper:
A Suitable Place to grow
Effects of Mold on Your Health
Not all mold you may come into contact with is dangerous to your health, however, certain types of household mold can cause problems. Overexposure can affect your health in many different ways; ranging from allergies and respiratory infections to tumor growth and cancer.
If you are exposed to mold on a regular basis because of your job or where you live, then you may have to wear a clinical mask to help filter the air you are taking in regularly. Even if you aren’t being overexposed to mold on a regular basis, they can still be toxic to your health. The American Industrial Hygiene Association says that even smaller amounts of exposure to toxins in the mold can be detrimental to your health.
One of the main side effects of mold which is widely debated is whether it can give you asthma or actually worsen asthma that is already there. Douwes and Pierce have said that; ‘A recent large European multicentre study in adults showed not only a significant homogeneous association across centers between self-reported mold exposures and asthma symptoms.’
Another study by the EPA and Berkeley National Laboratory showed;’“Of the 21.8 million people reported to have asthma in the U.S., approximately 4.6 million cases are estimated to be attributable to dampness and mold exposure in the home.” Thus, if you know you or anyone you are living with is susceptible to asthma or other respiratory problems then it would be a good idea to get rid of it, pronto! Try our easy homemade remedy below!
How to Spot Household Mold
If you see dark green/ black colored mold growing in your house- don’t panic! Not all black mold is poisonous to your health, to determine whether it is the more dangerous variety you will need a professional. There are also testing kits that you can order online or buy from most hardware stores; some sample the air and others sample surfaces, however, you should only use kits that are shipped to a lab to be tested.
Household molds are classified into categories A, B and C. Category A molds are the biggest health risks, and they should be removed by professionals immediately. Examples include Aspergillus and Stachybotrys (widely referred to as “black mold”). Category B molds aren’t toxic, but they pose an allergy risk to many. They include Cladosporium, Penicillium, and Alternaria. Category C molds aren’t usually an allergy risk, but they can still damage items in your house. An example is Ulocladium.
Below is a recipe that will get rid of that non-toxic household mold (the kinds that don’t spread mycotoxins) effectively and naturally. What’s the secret ingredient? Tea tree oil. Tea Tree oil has been used for centuries and has many modern day uses. According to Main Camp Natural Extracts, tea tree oil can be used for acne, athlete’s foot, dandruff, toothache and even helps cure a cold!
What Will You Need?
2 Teaspoons of Tea Tree Oil
2 Cups of water
A cotton Cloth
An empty spray bottle
Pour the two teaspoons of tea tree oil and two cups of water into the empty spray bottle, put the lid back on and shake.
Spray the solution over any mold affected areas in the house and leave to settle for a few hours.
Using the cotton cloth go around the sprayed areas and dry very thoroughly! (Some people who use this method have reported better success by allowing the application air-dry completely rather than towel drying, and then repeating the step 2-3 times).
Your home will be mold free in no time and you won’t even have to worry about its effects on your lungs by trying this amazing trick!
If you suspect mold has spread out of reach or beyond what is easily seen, or if the affected area is more than 10 feet squared, be sure to contact a professional to remove it.